A secure home is important for protecting your family and valuables against burglars, crazy in-laws, and the random zombie apocalypse. Unfortunately, those deadbolted doors and locked windows probably won’t deter the truly determined. A good guard dog and expertise in martial arts are excellent ways to deal with intruders, but sometimes, you just want to go with simple. Here are some excellent ideas for doing just that.
1. The SimLOCK (@ 2 for $10) is an effective way to protect your deadbolt from getting picked.
2. Door jambs made in the last ten years are often a bit weak. Reinforce them for better security.
3. Glass doors need all the help they can get. Beef up your patio doors with The Door Guardian. About $30
4. Add window alarms to make sure you know when they open. You can find these here. (12 for $30)
5. Scare the pants off of someone who thinks they made a silent entry with this hidden door alarm. (Less than $20 at Amazon)
6. Leave your keys under a mat, or plant pot? Yeah… no one will think of that! Try this lock box instead – $20. Change the code frequently. The walls have ears.
7. Use a peephole to see who’s at your door before opening it.
Royal H&H Door Viewer Security Peek Peep Hole for Front Door Home Office 200 Degree Wide Angle Solid Brass Privacy With Cover (Satin Nickel) $13
8. Reinforce your door’s sturdiness against a forced entry.
Prime-Line U 10539 Lock and Door Reinforcer – Reinforce and Repair Doors, Add Extra Security to your Home and Prevent Unauthorized Entry – 5-1/2 in, 2-3/8 in. x 1-3/4 in, in Stainless Steel
9. Slow burglars down with a security guard lock. It may not seem like much, but a break-in delay can only stack the odds a bit more in your favor.
Less than $7.00! National Hardware N335-984 804 Door Security Guards in Nickel
10. Crooks will be far less likely to mess with a home that has Zmodo 4CH Security DVR System with 500GB hard drive 4 Outdoor Night Vision Surveillance Cameras -3G Mobile that you can monitor from your phone.
Gaye Levy (Backdoor Survival) shares her ideas for safety and crime prevention…20+ [NOW 30+ in 2018] Countermeasures to Secure Your Homes and Families From Crime
11. Or you can go the distance and protect your home with a complete Honeywell system (at Amazon).
Honeywell’s LYNX Connect app provides consumers with the ability to use an iOS or Android™ device to view video and operate the system on premises.
Share your household security tips and stay safe!